Life is what you make of it. You can sit around and wait for tomorrow, or you can start living in today.

Friday, August 28, 2009

first day of school...2009

So, this year school started off a little bitter sweet. I got up earlier than normal just so I could get myself ready as well. I've always walked them to school the first day. It's a tradition. But this year was different.
I got them fed and ready. I put extra gel in their spiky hair. I made sure their nails were all clipped. I was so proud of the growth that they had made during the summer. It was bliss...but then they started off without me!! I had to grab their hands to get them to stop so I could at least get a picture of them before they left.
As soon as the camera flashed, Kaden was on his way, with Mckay running close behind, trying desperately to not only catch up with him, but pass him and win!! I myself couldn't even keep up, but who can keep up with a lanky 10 year old and a really fast 7 year old on the first day of school!!??
I started to quicken my pace, trying to at least drop Mckay off to his new classroom, his new teacher, and his new friends. There was a comment made that they were gone..."good luck catching them now!" I started to cry. Not tears of happiness by any means, but tears of sadness. They are getting older. They are getting more independent. They don't need me around as much anymore. This sucks!!!
Then, alas, Mckay stopped, turned around, and headed straight to me. My heart did a little jump for joy. At least HE still needed me!! I heard him call my name. With hopes of the chance to still be able to pass him on to his new class, I hurried toward him. "Mom" I heard him say. "What sweetheart" I called out, speeding up even more to catch up. "Um, don't forget to pack me my kind of spaghetti for lunch today!" and he was off again. My heart broke a little, but I had to laugh anyway. It's so funny that we can all be gullible enough to think the inevitable wouldn't happen for a couple more years.
So, when I finally reached his classroom to give his teacher "his kind" of snacks, he was sitting patiently at his desk, hands folded in front of him, asking his teacher, "what are we supposed to do now?" I cried again. Ready this time to let the little guy finally grow up. No more little one, no more "mom, I need you". They are finally grown up and responsible for their own actions.
Kaden even said that he was glad that he's in the class he's in now, because finally, in his fifth year of elementary school he said he has a ton of friends!! How glad I am of transferring him from the "cool kids" that were always mean to him class, to the "little dorky" future leaders class. Yeah for a new Principal that will actually listen to the parent request instead of the former Principal that overrode the parent request for his own request! We're so glad "little Timmy", the class bully of his era, was "demoted" this year! Things are finally looking up. My second grader and my fifth grader are finally starting to "let go". Now...If I could just do the same!!

3 comments:

Lish Fish said...

Sniff. I am so so not ready for that. School starts here on the 8th. Going to be awful, I am sure. You did good tho! They look very nice.

I also read your Sturgis experience...funny stuff. At least it was a trip you will never forget.. :O) You are so cute. I love your cute Sturgis shirts.

Ashley said...

they do look all grown up. time is just flyin.

Karen said...

I am so glad that school is going well for them. What is the class you put him in? It sounds great! Give them hugs, ok???